Welcome to my cozy little blog, I’m Vicki Bridges aka Mizbizibee. I teach rubber stamping, card making in a warm, friendly and low stress environment.

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Explaining Yourself

Happy Wednesday Little Bees

Recently Graphic 45 asked on Facebook how you would describe paper crafting to someone who isn’t a crafter. Gosh that reminds me of many a conversation trying to explain what I do to the “unconverted”. They look at me like I have a screw loose.  While I know what they don’t and if they can’t see it or don’t even want to try, it’s their loss.  I’m always baffled that they wouldn’t want to least dip their toes in the water.

I think most of the puzzlement comes from thinking that they need to be artistic to do what we do. I admit being an artist is a strong advantage when doing rubber stamping and paper arts. But just wanting a hobby can be enough.  On a side note, I’m always somewhat skeptical of people who don’t have any hobbies. (I don’t consider the television a hobby)  Everyone needs a mental vacation from life, just my humble opinion.

I think one of the biggest reasons we stampers enjoy card making is it is a way to have fun, relax and express our creativity. Then stick a stamp on it to make someone’s day. Lift a sad heart, celebrate a milestone and tell that person “you are valuable to me”. What hobby can do that?

Yes, we are artists who enjoy our craft, but we are also people that enjoy giving.  It works out great of us and the people around us.  The next time you need to explain your creatively activities to someone tell them that you “create small works of art to enrich the lives of those that you love”. Watch ‘em try to figure that one out!  Oh yes, you want to say this with your nose in the air! How do explain your love of paper and rubber?
                                                    


No comments:

Post a Comment